Monday, March 5, 2012

Week 2 : Operation Organization - My Craft Closet

This was my lovely craft closet.  I hated opening the door because it was such a disaster.  This is home to all my scrap booking stuff, craft supplies, gift wrapping, sewing projects and office papers.  I did have some systems working for me, but it needed some major organization. I have been putting this project off for about two years.  I am so thankful for this blog because I am actually getting things done around my house.
I didn't want to spend any money, so I just used what I had around the house.


Step 1. Used a  garbage can to store my wrapping paper.  Then I took two lg gift bags and filled them with all my gift bags, bows and tissue paper and hung them on hangers.


Step 2.  Sorted threw all the stuff that really didn't belong in the closet and made a hug pile for my garage sale that I will someday have. :)

Step 3.  Rearranged the shelves to make it work better.

Step 4. Set up a practical filing system.
All my papers that need to be filed I place in the wicker basket.  When the basket is full or I have a few extra minutes, I file it.


Step 5. Organized my pictures.
 I printed up my kids names and used scrapbook paper as a border. I used thick packing tape to put labels on drawers.  Inside the drawer will go pictures of that child and his/her artwork.  When the drawer gets full I put it in their artwork book or slip-in picture photo albums.  I use a simple 3 ring binder with plastic sleeves for their artwork book.( I save only their cutest artwork from the year)

Step 5. The fun one....Jazzing up my file cabinet. Apply Mog Podge unto the surface of the drawer with a sponge brush.  Cut the paper to fit around the handles. Lay the paper on the front of the cabinet and apply another layer of Mod Podge.  Allow to dry and apply another layer.

Step 6.  Close and open the door to my new craft closet at least a dozen times to see my new space.
I would someday like to paint the closet or get some fun stuff on the wall, but for now....  I am pretty happy.  I only had to spend $5 on scrapbook paper.  Maybe if I have that garage sale, I can buy something cute for the wall.

1 comment: