Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sweet Gum Ball Wreath

My backyard is covered with these pokey things that fall from the trees. I have never seen them in NY, only down in the South. I'm told they are called gumballs. Funny how the South makes everything sound nicer than it really is.  Anyways, they do have a lot of texture so I thought it would make a cool wreath.
1. I started with a wreath base and wrapped it with burlap.  I bought 1/2 yd at Walmart for $2.50.  I cut the burlap in strips and hot glued them to the base.

2. I then had all three of my kids gather a large bag of gumballs from the backyard.  I love putting my kids to work but making them think its a game.

3. I cut off the stems and hot glued one gumball on at a time. Yes, it did take forever. But I think it was worth it.

4. I layered two wire ribbons that I purchased at Michael's for $10 and made a loop at the top
5. I made a pretty bow at the top and tied it to the loop
6. What I love about this wreath, is that I can change up the ribbon for various holidays and it can look completely different. So for this month coming up, Happy St.Patrick's Day!  .

2 comments:

  1. You didn't show me this today! Or did you just whip this up this afternoon?? ;) You are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what kind of wreath did you use? Straw? Styrofoam?

    ReplyDelete